There are some pretty messed up children's songs.
For example, Ring Around the Rosy.
"Ring around the rosy,
pocket full of posy
Ashes, ashes
We all fall down."
and all the children fall into a giggling heap on the ground.
:)
- One of the first signs/symptoms of the Black Plague was a little red dot with a ring around it.
- People carried around pockets full of posies (flowers) to cover up the stench of the dead that were all over the place.
- In the terminal phases of the disease, victims would be hemorrhaging internally, sometimes triggering sneezing as it irritated the breathing passages. "Ashes" is a child's approximation of a paroxysm of sneezing. In this weakened state, a victim could, and often did, sneeze their lungs out.
- We all fall down... Do you really need an explanation??
Another example??
“Three blind mice. Three blind mice.
See how they run. See how they run.
They all ran after the farmer’s wife
She cut off their tails with a carving knife.
Did you ever see such a thing in your life
As three blind mice.”
See how they run. See how they run.
They all ran after the farmer’s wife
She cut off their tails with a carving knife.
Did you ever see such a thing in your life
As three blind mice.”
And last of all, this song my sister showed me this morning:
Listen to it!! I laughed the first time I heard it.
Shotgun full of nails and dynomite...
97 pieces of the man is all they found...
Then it jumped the rail. Not a soul was left behind to tell the gruesome tale...
The air was filled with kittens but not one was ever found.
??????
Nursery rhymes are messed up.
3 comments:
I think it might be time for humankind to own to the fact that we are grotesque and irreversibly screwed up. And yet, I have to admit I found myself secretly liking "the cat came back" song. I guess that's just further proof :)
I just can't get over the imagery of being so fed up with something that you are angered to the point of shoving your shotgun full of nails and dynamite. Haha!!!
hahaha, kind of like that moment when you get older and find out all the dirty part in the disney movies, just kind of disappionting to the blissfulness of childhood!! haha
Post a Comment