Let's see, let's see... Oh I know how I'll start this story...
"Once upon a long time ago in a pretty little town called Logan, Jarvis and Tierra dated."
Yep. :)
It was a couple years ago and it was casual, but they stayed friends, so last year when Tierra came up to visit me in Logan, I wasn't surprised when she said she wanted to go out to dinner with Jarvis and a couple of his friends. It was fun. We went to Texas Roadhouse and we all talked and laughed and that was basically it. That was the first time I met my future husband.
Now fast forward 11 months... Jarvis and I met again on Tinder.
Yep. :)
I didn't recognize him, but he was super cute and was wearing "I ❤️ USU" glasses. Of course I swiped right. ;) We started texting back and forth. Jarv was hilarious and I liked talking to him. When we first started talking he made the comment that I must be cool considering our mutual friends (Tinder links with Facebook for all you married folk out there.) I hadn't even noticed our mutual friends before so I went and looked and as I was scrolling through I saw Tierra. It only took a second. Almost immediately I realized "Oh my gosh... THIS IS TIERRA'S JARVIS!!!!" A flood of Texas Roadhouse memories came rushing back to me and I wrote back "Haha I didn't even realize it until you said something, but Tierra is my best friend... and we've met before."
I called T. Davis immediately and filled her in on how small the world had just gotten. It was pretty funny, actually, but she was really cool about it and told me to go for it. "Why not??" she said. "You never know what could happen." So I agreed to go out with him... but I never planned on dating him. He had dated my best friend and that would just be weird.
For our first date, Jarvis took me to the Red Iguana. The wait time is always long (and worth it) so we had plenty of time to talk before dinner. We walked a little ways and talked and I just remember thinking "this doesn't feel like a first date. It's so easy to talk to him." By the time we were seated I felt like we were really good friends. We could joke around with each other and laugh. It was a lot of fun. At some point during dinner movies came up. I think he asked me if I had seen any good movies lately... I had just seen The Great Gatsby for the fifth time in theaters, so yeah. I was a little embarrassed to admit it, but I told him about it and he laughed. He said he hadn't seen it yet then added "but if it's really that good we should go see it." I figured he meant some other time, you know, because everybody does, but he pulled out his phone right there and looked up show times for that night. I think that was the moment I fell in love with him. ;) jk, but really, he scored serious brownie points. One of the first things I learned about him that night was that he was a "doer" and I liked that about him. :)
And the doing didn't stop there. Before I knew it I was going on all these dates with him. We went to lunch together, we went to a drive in movie, we went miniature golfing... I never planned on dating him, but the night that we went miniature golfing changed my mind about him. We opened up a lot to each other and towards the end of the night I realized I really liked him... and I wanted him to know. I wasn't sure how to tell him, though, so I waited... and I waited... and I waited. We drove all over the place that night and talked about everything. I told him about the Brandi Carlile concert coming up and asked if he wanted to go with me. It was at the Red Butte Gardens and I figured we could just hike up the mountain and listen to the music and enjoy each other's company. He said he had never heard her music, but it sounded like it would be fun. So we pulled over and looked up Brandi Carlile on Spotify. We were listening to The Story and talking... and then we stopped talking... silence wasn't awkward with him, but I looked over at him and he looked at me and then he kissed me. Finally!!! Haha, I had been wanting to kiss him all night. ;)
After that we started doing even more together. We drove to Draper and watched the Utah symphony one night. He took me to his house to go horseback riding. We drove all over one night trying to find parking for this huge firework show in Midvale we found out about way last minute. He took me to the Fiesta Days Rodeo in Spanish Fork. He became one of my best friends almost overnight. We talked about everything and even though we came from two very different backgrounds, I felt like he totally knew where I was coming from when I talked about why I am the way I am. Every day I spent with him, I realized how perfect he was for me. That didn't make me any less scared of commitment, though.
Jarvis and I joke around that I'm a slow poke. He gets to a place in our relationship, waits for me to catch up, and by the time I do he's already moving on without me. I am a little more cautious and wary when it comes to commitment because I feel like I've messed up two, I mean, too, many times before. ;) I really did make Jarvis wait. Then again, this has happened pretty fast, so I didn't really make him wait THAT long. ;) Right before we went down to St. George I told him I wanted to be exclusive... something he had brought up weeks before. I knew I was in love with him then, but I wanted him to say it first. So I waited... and I waited... and I waited... all weekend I waited and it almost killed me, but the night we got back to Salt Lake he told me he loved me. And I said it back. :) A week later, he said he wanted to marry me...
See what I mean!! He gets somewhere, waits for me to catch up, and then moves on without me. ;) I'm surprised I wasn't freaked out that night that we first talked about marriage. In my head it seemed way too fast, but in my heart I knew it was right. I was looking at Jarvis as he talked about how much he loved me and I knew more than anything that this could really work. What he and I had was different. I knew I loved him. I knew I could trust him. I just knew. That night miniature golfing I told Jarvis that I was just waiting for a guy to come along that would make things different. And that's him. He is so amazing and has made it so easy for me. He is exactly what I needed.
So now we're moving forward, this time at the same rate. :) I'm excited to have him on my team and I'm excited to be on his team. I appreciate so much about him and I look forward to seeing him everyday. I've never felt like this before and that makes me so happy!!!
1 comment:
so cute.
Post a Comment